Posted .

Your teeth are made up of the hardest material in the body, a mixture of different minerals that lends strength and toughness to your biting and chewing. However, they can be broken in certain situations, such as trying to chew on something hard, like a pen or popcorn kernels. If this happens, you’ll need to get the tooth repaired.

Sometimes a minor chip can be repaired with a basic filling or cosmetic bonding procedure. If one or more of the teeth in your smile have chips, we might recommend having porcelain dental veneers installed over the face of each tooth.

There are some cases when the fracture can be so severe that it damages the critical interior structures of the tooth. The most common symptoms of this include a persistent ache, sharp pain, or excessive sensitivity. In a case like this, our dentist might need to perform a root canal.

If the crack is extreme or if the tooth has completely split, he might need to completely extract the tooth and suture your gums. Once your gums have completely healed, he can help you understand your replacement options. The two most common methods are to either install a dental bridge or a dental implant.

If you have a cracked or chipped tooth, call Bullitt Dental P.L.L.C. in Shepherdsville, Kentucky, right away. We will make sure you get the care you need. As always, Dr. Robert A. Bell is eager to help in any way he can.